Parts for the crane:
Lazy susan
Boards
Nuts & bolts
Screws
Old clothes hanger
Old tripod
Aluminum strips
Equipment used:
Sony HDR-HC3 Camcorder
Sony Playstation
Crew:
Tony Reale
Chris Ritzenhein
I've added a few measurements so you can get an idea of what to expect. You don't have to copy everything exactly the way it is listed. Feel free to take some liberties when building your own design!




Here is the crane fully extended...

...and full lowered.

A couple more close-ups on the assembly.


Another close-up of the head.

And lastly, lazy susan before it was incorporated into the assembly.

Well, I hope that was helpful. Remember to use these suggestions and build a crane that will work the best for you. I went online and took ideas from 5-6 different models to design this one.
Let me know what you think too. We may produce additional DIY videos in the future so feel free to subscribe to our YouTube page: www.youtube.com/NextWaveG
Thanks for checking us out!
This has been a Next Wave Graphics tutorial.

11 comments:
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this, I have been looking ALL over for a tutorial!
Hi Tony,
i am wondering how you attached the jib to the tripod. I mean there is a little bolt on the top of the tripod. How did you screw the lazy susan platform onto the this little bolt. Can you send me some pictures?
thanks a lot
Ahmet,
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. For some reason I never got a notice on your post.
Anyways, to answer your question, yes there is a single bolt that runs through the board at the base of the lazy susan through the tripod. Unfortunately I don't have a picture but in your own application, you would probably just need to make sure the bolt(s) are secured firmly and you should be fine.
Hi again,
I built my jib months ago with help of your tutorial, thank you. But the most annoying thing with my jib is that lazy susan is not a stable rotating platform and it shakes&vibrates the jib. Did you encounter such problems? Thanks again.
I'm glad you were able to build your own jib! I'd love to see some pictures of it. Email me some if you like and I may post them on my blog. nwtv@nextwavegraphics.net
I do have a slight wobble with the crane and my remedy is simply to practice with it and develope a steady hand. It also helps to make sure you can have multiple takes for your crane shots. Now if you really want something more stable, you may want to get a larger lazy susan that can distribute the weight better.
Unfortunetly DIY stuff like this is mostly trial and error...but I guess that's half the fun :)
It's amazing what you can make out of a pile of junk, you done good. It would have been nice if you had cleaned up the unit a little before you made your video. I have basically followed your example using stuff around the shop also. My refinements are a pan and tilt head that is sprocket and chain droven by cable and joy stick. Very simple and no batteries. It is also very smooth to operate. Thanks for the incentive.
Hey Tony,
I like the things you do.
Do you by chance have any simplified step by step instructions on how to make this rig. I have practically no experience with building anything like this and have no access to an old clothes hanger like you used, any ideas on substitutes? If you can offer any advice on how to make this easier, please email me anna.sob.barron@gmail.com.
Thanks for the great tutorial-I am learning a lot from your videos. As a budding independent filmmaker, these postings are invaluable (and as a former teacher are greatly appreciated!)
Thanks again!!!
Anna
Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/restaurant-week-washington-2010.html]restaurant week washington 2010[/URL]
Excuse, I have thought and have removed a question
awsome video but you guys don't tell the specks of the bolts and nuts and screws used..
Post a Comment