My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nextwavedv.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Manly Man Conference


Manly Man from Tony Reale on Vimeo.

This was a test shoot I did for an intro action short to start off our Manly Man Conference this August. The idea was to have an action movie intro like you often see in award shows.

I simply grabbed my HV20 and shot a quick concept over the course of 5 hours with some of the staff at our church.

I used this as a chance to experiment with camera angles. In the first hallway, I did a Vertigo zoom (Hitchcock zoom). On the roof I experimented with some fly by shots and extreme closeups. At the end, the final epic scene I shot in one take and kept the camera moving around the actors to keep the intensity going.

There are many things I would change for in a final shoot. Taking more time to setup lighting, get a boom operator for sound, use a steady cam and manual controls, etc. My wind screen even got in the way on a few shots.

Regardless, I had a lot of fun shooting this and I hope you enjoy this concept video.




This is a promo video that I shot and edited for the Manly Man Conference. We used four Arri lights and shot with a both an XL-H1 and my HV20. I then played around with some color correction and time remapping.


For more info on The Manly Man Conference, check out the main website: www.themanlymanconference.com

6 comments:

Next Wave Graphics said...

American culture has over feminized men. Our point to the Manly Man Conference is not to put women down but rather celebrate the strong qualities that make up a man. Since you live in Australia, you probably only here the media's version of our culture.

As for your opinion on Christianity, that's your own personal conviction and it's not up to me to change that. I don't mind that you share your beliefs, but I find it unnecessary to be insulting and call me a "freak".

Sam James said...

I wasn't intending to be insulting, simply to trying to be bold in a criticism of American Christianity. I was quite stunned to see that promo video and its advertising style. In Australia we aren't that blatant in terms of selling ourselves and don't have such a strong attachment to religion. But the handheld cinematography in the action video was very good!

Next Wave Graphics said...

I don’t blame you for your criticism of American Christianity. A lot of Christians in America today are so obsessed with the “actions” of Christianity that they give of a “holier-than-thow” attitude. Often times they forget what makes up the core of Christianity: Love God and put Him first, love your neighbor more then yourself. Christ said, “They will know you are my disciples by your love…” …not by how much of the Bible you know or how good you act.

As for the advertising style, I’ll admit it’s a little extreme. Unfortunately in America, men have been bombarded with a huge movement to lower the necessity of strong “manly” qualities. Everything from sitcoms that show the role of a man and father as not-needed (see Everybody Loves Raymond) to studies that say that households are less likely for domestic abuse in single parent homes. Well of course they are…it’s kind of hard to have domestic abuse when there’s no one else there. And they use that as proof that fathers aren’t needed in the home. Add that to the movement that tells women that it’s not okay to be a housewife or mother, but instead they have to climb the corporate ladder as high as they can go otherwise they’ve failed at life. Men in America really don’t know where to stand. That’s why we want to have this conference to celebrate the natural strengths in men. We went to the extreme in the advertising because many men choose not to come to conferences like this because they are afraid that they are going to be beat down and criticized for being men…as happens in many conferences.

I’m not saying there isn’t a place for men to be sensitive or for women to be confident, but American culture has flip-flopped political correctness so bad that they are telling people that this is what they have to be. If that’s not an issue in Australia, then I envy you.

I’m glad you liked the action short. Thanks for the compliment.

Sam James said...

Yes that's interesting. Sorry to have been offensive before, cheers. Sam

Anonymous said...

First off: script was bad. bad bad bad badddd. more emphasis should have put on why he was running. develop a storyline instead of "goooo, we gotta go"

I loved the rooftop scene when the guys were running. chase scenes are the selling point of the movie. if the chase scene is bad, usually people don't remember the movie (unless it had a fantastic plot)

before i go on see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIw3cv8Zls&feature=related

this video highlights action and the parkour brothers.

the new generation likes moving cameras, so try to move more creating the story that there is more going on then meets the eye.

sorry for jumping back and forth:
when the two characters jump off the building, you should have gotten a scene from the bottom looking up as they fall. then another of their feet as they make contact.

lastly what irked me the most is how the gun shot scene was handled. instead of putting a cheap red blotch for 2 seconds, use a different camera angle. example. say he gets shot in the back. you can get a camera angle of both guys from the front running, and the guy in back falling right in front of the camera lens, simulating the effect of him getting shot (without having to crop in a blood shot wound =))

lastly check out this site for video effects. http://www.videocopilot.net/

i personally have not used the program, but the effects look fantastic. good luck on future vids.

Next Wave Graphics said...

Thanks for your suggestions. As I stated in the post, this was purely a concept video. I made it up as I went. I came up with the general idea for the video and instead of sitting down and writing everything out, I decided to make a video storyboard. The focus was to shoot something interesting and see if it worked. Then iron out the kinks and reshoot it. I was focused on being quick and efficient for the concept video.

I use Videocopilot quite frequently. In fact the gunshot effect was from the Action Movie Essentials package.

All that said, we did go and reshoot it. Your welcome to check out the final version. It's not perfect, but it turned out well and was very well received.

http://www.vimeo.com/1554431

Even in the final version, there was a lot more I could do, but since I was working with a national speaker who only has a few hours to work on this project...I didn't have time to set up lighting or do 10 takes of each scene. I had to be quick and still make it look good. Things like the jump by cutting as I did I avoided having to do any major stunts or green screening.