My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://nextwavedv.com
and update your bookmarks.

Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

HD-DSLR News: What I've Been Reading Lately...

I love to go around reading blogs, posting on forums, checking out videos. Often times I find some real good stuff out there that might help you out.

DSLR vs. Film: Zacuto's Great Camera Shootout

Zacuto did an amazing job of comparing the "Grand Master" film to the "Game Changer" DSLR cameras. They just released the first episode of their three part series. Check it out and prepare to be amazed!


DSLR Blogs


Shane Hurlbut

Shane is an amazing DP and fell in love with DSLRs shortly after they arrived. His experience is in cinema, and while he uses some lenses that most of us could never afford (such as Panavisions ranging in the $50k+ range) he has tons of great tips for the average shooter. Such as differences in still glass, recording sound, picture style settings, and much more.

Vincent Laforet


Vincent was one of the first photographers to be handed a 5D MkII and he created the infamous Reverie video that made everyone fall in love with the 5D MkII. He has posted tons of great tips for DSLR shooting along with lots of behind the scenes photos from his shoots (which I always love!).

EOSHD

I recently came across this site and what I've enjoyed most is their experimentation with anamorphic adapters on various DSLRs.

Philip Bloom


If you shoot video on a DSLR, you should know who he is.


Gear

Zeiss Compact Prime 2 Cine Lenses


I first came across these when reading Vincent Laforet's blog post about them. I was intrigued since the only compact primes I had heard of before these was the RED Mini Primes. As I read more I found out that the Zeiss CP lenses use Zeiss ZF glass seen in their ZF still lenses. Zeiss makes some of the best glass you can get for your DSLR. But what makes the CP lenses better? Well you are getting hand picked glass, 300 degree focus range (for easier focus pulling), 14 iris blades (for better focus fall off and bokeh), standardized size, color corrected glass, and so much more. Read more on Vincent's post, but you can see why these would be great to have. The cool part is Zeiss is releasing their version 2 of the lenses with EF mounts! This means no PL adapter...just slap the EF lenses right onto your Canon DSLR. Very cool! Version 1 that have the PL mounts have been out for awhile now. Version 2 with the EF mounts are supposed to be released this May. More info to come at NAB.

Now if you can't afford the Zeiss CP lenses, you can still get great quality from the Zeiss ZF lenses. I came across RP Lenses which will take standard still lenses and adapt them for cinema use. They aren't as good as Cine lenses, but it's a great alternative.

Caprock Anti-Moire Filters

These aren't really new, but I just discovered them this week. They are filters that help reduce camera moire. Unfortunately they don't work the greatest with full frame sensors like my 5D MkII, but apparently they work well with crop frame sensors like the 7D & t2i. Read Barry Green's write-up about which filter works best with which lens.

Coleman LED Quad Lantern

This is pretty cool. It is small, light weight, battery powered and seems to have a decent output. The color temperature is apparently accurate at around 5600K but the best part is that it separates into 4 individual lights. These lights were even recently seen in 24! Cameratown did a great write up and video demonstration on these. They aren't super bright, but they would be good for small interviews or practical lights for a scene. Your imagination is the limit, but for $60, you can't go wrong.


Other Stuff


If you want to read more of my ramblings, you can find me on DVXUser's forums quite a bit. I'm usually hanging around the DSLR and Lighting sections, username NextWaveG.

No comments: